Thursday, 29 July 2010

Lambeth Labour Councillors call on Government to commit to Decent Homes for Tenants

Labour Cabinet Member for Housing, Lib Peck today called on the Government to commit to funding Decent Homes in Lambeth. Lambeth Leaders wrote to Housing Minister Grant Shapps in June urging him to commit to funding for decent homes but he has yet to respond.

Lambeth Council is campaigning for continued investment in the Decent Homes scheme, which was started by the Labour Government, to bring all of the borough’s social housing up to a decent standard.

The Decent Homes scheme is under threat after the Tory-Lib Dem Government made no commitment to complete the programme in their manifestos or the Coalition Agreement.

Cllr Lib Peck said:

“We’re calling on the Conservative/Liberal Democrat government to fund the decent homes programme in Lambeth. In total this amounts to £233 million for Lambeth Living; and “25 million for United Residents Housing. This money is desperately needed so that our homes can be made safe, warm and secure. It will pay for new roofs, new boilers, new windows, new kitchens and new bathrooms that are desperately needed by our residents. The last government promised this money – we don’t want the new government to break this agreement and let down Lambeth residents.”

Rt Hon John Healey MP, Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning, said:

“I want to see the new Government back tenants’ desire to live in a decent home. They deserve the improvements that others have already had.

“If ministers fail to give a clear commitment to finish Labour’s big refurbishment programme, tenants will be left in limbo and we’ll see the widespread unfairness of two-tiered council estates in our communities.”

Please help support Labour in Lambeth’s call on the government to commit to Decent Homes for Tenants by clicking on the following link 

Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Councillors slam Tory/Lib Dem school building cuts affecting Tulse Hill ward

Labour councillors Ruth Ling, Marcia Cameron and Adedamola Aminu have slammed the recent admission by Tory Education secretary Michael Gove that he is cutting more than £200 million in Lambeth schools funding, just days before contracts were due to be agreed and building work was to begin.

Local schools including 4th new school project, Fenstanton, had been promised rebuilt or refurbished school buildings under the Building Schools for the Future project, but the Tory/Lib Dem coalition government has now dashed their hopes. Michael Gove has now cancelled Lambeth’s entire program, affecting thousands of pupils at eleven secondary schools. The cancelled investment in schools was desperately needed, both to renew or rebuild tired buildings, and also to provide much needed extra places in the borough, including a new school for Brixton. The creation of hundreds of local construction jobs will also be dashed.

Labour councillor Ruth Ling said: “Teachers and pupils involved in the Fenstanton had been promised millions in funding to build the new school. Now the Tory/Lib Dem government have destroyed their dream of modern buildings by cancelling Building Schools for the Future in Lambeth outright, affecting the life chances of hundreds of local children in Tulse Hill ward.

“Lambeth is still desperately short of places for secondary school age children, despite Labour building three new schools from scratch in the last few years. Labour’s plans for school rebuilding would have created the extra places our borough need – but the Tories and Lib Dems will leave our children having to travel miles out of the borough to get to school.

“What’s more, Lambeth has already spent more than £6 million on preparing planning permissions and producing designs for the eleven new schools – local taxpayers will be outraged that the coalition government’s decision will see that money go to waste.”

Lambeth Labour are now leading a ‘Save Our Schools’ campaign, to shame the Tory/Lib Dem government into reversing their short-sighted decision. They are urging local parents and children to write to Education secretary Michael Gove telling him how their decision will affect their education, and urging him to restore the funding Lambeth needs. He can be contacted at:

The Rt Hon Michael Gove MP
Secretary of State for Education
Sanctuary Buildings
Great Smith Street
London SW1P 3BT

Monday, 5 July 2010

Ruth Ling wins it for Labour in the Tulse Hill By election

Labour candidate Ruth Ling claimed victory in the Tulse Hill by election which was held yesterday on the 1st July 2010. After a hard and well fought campaign by Ruth Ling and the Lambeth Labour Party which included guest appearances from Blur drummer Dave Rowntree and former Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, Ruth won with a 490 majority on a 21.4% turnout.

The result helps strengthen Labour in Lambeth’s fight against ConDem cuts and plans to work more closely with communities and customers of council services as a co-operative council to improve service quality for everyone.

Cllr Ruth Ling said:

“I’m delighted to be back on the Council and I would like to thank all the residents in Tulse Hill who have been so friendly and supportive to me over the last few weeks. I look forward to working hard on their behalf.”

Council Leader Steve Reed said:

“The by-election result was a powerful endorsement of Ruth Ling and Lambeth’s Labour Council. The result, with Labour’s share of the vote even higher than in May, sends a clear signal to the Tory-Lib Dem Government that people in Lambeth will not take their unfair cuts lying down. For the Tories, as the country’s governing party, to win barely 4% of the vote just a few miles from Parliament is a humiliation. Ruth has many years of experience and will be a hard-working champion for the people of Tulse Hill”.

Full Results:

Labour – 1235
Liberal Democrats – 745
Green Party – 256
Conservatives – 94
UKIP – 36

Labour to work cross-border to protect services Lewisham, southwark and Lambeth

Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham are building on plans announced before the election to work together to cut costs and protect frontline services.

Partnership working between the three boroughs has taken on a new urgency in light of the unprecedented cuts from the Tory/Lib Dem Government that local councils will face over the coming years.

Sir Steve Bullock, elected Mayor of Lewisham, Cllr Steve Reed, Leader of Lambeth and Cllr Peter John, Leader of Southwark, have today written to their respective Chief Executives to commission them to begin joint discussions to consider where potential exists for efficient and effective joint working. They have been asked to work together to present a range of options by the autumn.

Cllr Steve Reed said: “Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark councils all provide many services that are identical, but do we really need to pay twice for separate sets of senior management and back-office support? We need to proactively look at making savings at a time when the Tory/Lib Dem government is making cuts to council funding in order to protect frontline services”

Cllr Peter John said: “Local councils are facing unprecedented cuts from the Tory/Lib Dem Government. We know that we’re going to have to change the way we work to rise to the challenge those cuts present and carry on making the improvements to local services that our residents need. Pulling together with our neighbouring boroughs, which face many of the same challenges we do, promises to deliver some of that change.”

Mayor Sir Steve Bullock said: “We have to seek dramatic improvements in efficiency by working in partnership with our neighbouring Councils, other public services and the private sector. Every pound we can save through efficiency is a pound we can spend on frontline services. I hope this innovative approach can be used as a model across Local Government, rather than a return to slash and burn cuts”